Friday, December 30, 2011

My first sculpture in 16 YEARS.

Yes, I'm old.  And I'm only 34.  Weird.  I only feel old when muscles pop in my back or something.  I hate that.

Anyway, I got my clay, and set up shop in the basement.  I took over Justin's "woodworking" space.  He can share.  A little dismal, but I don't have many options.



I remember how to sculpt.  But it makes me sad that I have no one to ask all my little questions to.  Like what kind of clay should I be buying?  If I am supposed to keep the clay moist, why are my tentacles cracking?  I had the ultimate expert, but I've lost that opportunity.

I made this in about 1-2 hours.  I made something similar to this in high school, and Mr. Drake kept it in the school showcase forever.  When the high school moved, dumb football players were in charge of moving the sculptures, and they broke mine.  Jerks.




I can't really get my fingers in to work on the face- I need some tools.  I ordered some, but I won't get them until Tuesday.  :(  I am worried the clay will dry out too much before then.  I may need to make a stop at AC Moore or something.

It's not done.  I need to get in there and make things more secure... and I am not happy with some of the bulkiness of the tentacles.  But that's what tomorrow is for.  :)  

I feel really good about this.  I feel like this is what I should have been doing all this time.  I can't go back, but I can shape every day from now on.


No comments:

Post a Comment