Thursday, May 10, 2012

BFFless


I am reading "MWF seeks BFF."  It's cute.  A little boring and a little annoying, yet it raises a lot of questions for me.

Mainly, I have a hard time remembering EVER having a "BFF" like she describes.  Someone to call to meet for lunch, talk on the phone, go get pedicures, see a last-minute movie, analyze relationships and people ad nauseum.  And even if I ever had, it probably wasn't a female.

My television was video games, and my movies are horror movies.  I hate talking on the phone.  I love pedicures, though.


Actually, I guess my BFF would have been Anne Delguercio.  It was girl-love from the moment we met.  We were inseparable for a few years.  We worked together, watched movies, Sailor Moon, and spent every waking moment talking to each other.  Then we drifted away when she moved to Florida.  I can't blame her, though, as I am notoriously bad at keeping in touch.  It's not that I don't like the person any more, or even any less.  I just get lost in time sinks. I would love another Anne Delguercio.  =)

I think my friend Randy was my other BFF, but he's a guy.  So I guess he wouldn't count by this book's standards.

But of course, I no longer have the utter lack of restraint on time.  Being the SAHM, I am only free during the middle of the day, WITH my toddler.  I can get away some nights, but I get tired at 11pm and turn into a pumpkin by 12am.  Contrary to popular belief, SAHMs work very long hours.

But I *would* like someone to come over and help me marathon bake and assemble cookie tins.  Or for company while doing something monotonous, like wrapping presents.  Or to dash over to watch American Idol or stupid things like Harry Potter movies or a Romero marathon.  Or for the occasional dinner or movie.

In all fairness, there are people who fit various bills.  Rachel is always up for meeting to eat, but she's about to become a mother, and she will be busy (though I fully intend on inviting myself over, anyway).  Steph has a young daughter, too, and our weekly playdates are sanity-savers!!  I wish we were a little closer, though.

So I find myself on meetup.com, looking for groups.  I have been here before.  Right after I had Gretchen, everyone recommended "mommy" groups.  I joined a couple and showed up at 2 meetings.  I felt too weird.  Not just awkward (which I was-very), but WEIRD.  No one else was tattooed, noseringed, or an ex-roller derby player.  Or played video games.  Or watches Ghostbusters every.single.time.it.comes.on.tv.  Not that I held that against them, but they seemed to hold it against me.  Whatever.

So anyway, I sign up to a horror fan group.  Nice, but not normally chick-yielding.  But you never know!  Then a  retro gaming group and a generic "nerd" group.  Again, you never know.  I RSVP for a toddler story-telling-time event.  I have a bad feeling about that, but we'll see.

Now I am looking at book clubs.  I like to read, but not just anything.  I don't want to read stupid Oprah list books or whatever.  I don't even normally like fiction.  So good luck finding compatibility there.

I feel like I have enough friends to be largely satisfied.  But it never hurts to keep your ears pricked up.  It would also be nice to draft a couple of guy friends for Justin.  He has no one to watch Flyers games at the bar with anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment