Monday, August 15, 2011

Wheat bread....will you be mine?

Another week.  Another bread attempt.
Another YouTube video recipe.
No, I don't learn.

This guy's username is "Steve the Bread Guy."  He has a website called "Take Back the Bread."  How could this POSSIBLY go wrong?
http://youtu.be/bU4v7dVhiLM
It's not his fault.  Steve did a fine job.  I, as usual, am intellectually challenged.  Step one was getting the yeast to do it's thing.  I have this warming spot on my stove, so I figured, "hey let's turn this on low!  Yeast likes to be warm."
I believe this is the yeast, oil, water, milk, & honey immediately after mixing it.

This is what I came back to 10 minutes later- "a brown scum."  That's good, believe it or not.

So in goes the flour.  2 cups of white flour, and 3-4 cups of wheat flour.  Here is my second mega-error:  I took out a 1/3c measuring cup.  I specifically read "1/3c."  Then I proceeded to use it as if it were a 1/2c as I put in all the flour.  I'm awesome, right?  So I'm not even sure what proportion of what went into it.  I just kept going.  Here is the flour going in & then the final dough:



Happy dough ball!
Now comes the first rise- I cover it and leave for an hour or so.  The bowl is still sitting on the warming plate on low.

30 minutes later

I punched it down (literally- it was very satisfying!) and then set it into the loaf pan to rise again for another hour.


After cooking for 30 minutes (and after I unceremoniously dumped the loaf from the pan and crushed the corners)"


Wow!  So how did it taste?  Like yeast.  Uhg.  SO YEASTY.  Apparently, using the warming spot on the stovetop was stupid.  The excessive heat over-encouraged the yeast to go bananonkers.
But other than that, the dough was great, the texture & weight were awesome.  Hopefully the husband will like this one, too.  Because I can't eat it.
By the way- obviously, this took several hours.  Don't let that deter you!  It's not like I had to do very much work at all.  I could have easily ran errands during the rising phases.  In fact, I did my World of Warcraft dailies.  So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment