Monday, August 15, 2011

Analysis of a Kitchen Cupboard

Why do we amass what we amass?  Do you plan it out & buy it all at once?  I lack that kind of foresight.  My unintentional collection has mismatched itself over 15 years.  Also, I may as well admit now that I went through a very unfortunate 5 year long Crate & Barrel phase.


WARNING:  I make no promises as to the interestingness of this post.
Let the dissection begin.

TOP SHELF (Left to Right):
  • A pyrex pot for vegetables, maybe?  I wouldn't know- it's been up there since I moved here because I can't reach it.
  • 8 little soup crocks.  Apparently while registering at Crate & Barrel, I imagined myself preparing and serving French Onion soup to 8 people.   BWAHAHAHAHA
  • Pyrex pie plates?  2 because there was ever any danger of me making ONE pie.  What's important here is that I have them JUST IN CASE.
  • Random platters from my grandmother's house- fabulous floral patterns from the 60s, most likely.  I only use these for family gatherings at my place....i.e. 2x a year.  I'll never discard them, though.
2ND SHELF:
  • Nesting melamine mixing bowls from Crate & Barrel (CB).  They look so nice in the catalogs!  I loved these wholeheartedly when I was younger.  I now decided that I feel a little cheesy using them, though, so I put them up there out of reach in favor of my blue glass mixing bowls. 
  • Space for the aforementioned blue mixing bowls (see later picture).  From Marshall's on clearance.  I want to replace these, because obviously I am a mixing bowl snob.  Who knew?  
  • Rogue sippy cup.  I can't reach it unless I get the chair.
  • More Pyrex that I am fairly sure that has not moved in 6 years.
  • Vintage pyrex- I honestly can't remember where this came from.  I thought it came from my grandmother's house, but I can't be certain.  I love to look at it, but I never use it.
  • CB baking pieces (I actually bought these within the past 2 years, so I don't regret these ...yet).  I felt like I needed something fancy for family gatherings.  You know, the ones that happen 2x a year.
THIRD SHELF:
  • CB giant mixing bowl- it's okay ...but we already established my mixing bowl snobbery.  I am having visions of translucent or just very white bowls in its place.  
  • Miscellaneous bowls from CB, Kmart, Urban Outfitters, and..... Target?  I hate my bowls, in general, I guess.  
  • Travel mugs for Justin's morning coffee.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't planning on finding them a new out-of-sight home.
  • Mug extravaganza!  Thrift store, eBay, Ikea, Target, the Interwebs.  Yes, this is getting pared down.
BOTTOM SHELF:
  • Glasses.....oh gawd.  So many.  Some I am unwilling to let go of- especially the ones from my grandmother's house, even if I barely use them.  I guess I should start using them.  They are a bit on the small side, though.  Blah.    
  • Plates.... I've got a stack of miscellaneous plates from Urban Outfitters, a small stack of green dessert plates from CB, and lime green dinner plates from CB.  I picked up all of these while living in NE Philly.
  • Baby plates.  She may or may not be the culprit behind the loss of the 8th green dessert plate.
I am fairly sure that I once had 8 of each, but I always lose one (*I* don't break it, but someone else does).  So obviously, 8 is not my number.  I am hoping 7 is not my number, because I don't feel that it's enough place settings.
What's terrible is that I registered for this CB black & blue dinnerware that I liked at the time.... and don't like now.  I shudder to think of the retail cost of it.  I currently have it boxed up, perhaps to sell one day.  :(
Okay, I've pared down the plates and mugs, at least!  Better?

Sorry for the uninteresting post.  But I was really just trying to help myself get rid of some things.
DAMMIT!!  It's Sunday...why am I not watching Hoarders?

No comments:

Post a Comment